Welcome to the official site of the International 470 Class Association
Zaoli Sails
Tender One
Rig Blitz
Olimpic Sails
North Sails | New Zealand
  • Photos
470 General News


07 May 2020

Dear 470 sailors, coaches, class members and friends,

The International 470 Class Management Committee has been in continuous contact with our event organizers ever since our last communication with you. We are in a position now to give you the latest situation update:

This news belongs to
2019 470 Junior European Championship
This news belongs to
2020 470 Junior World & European Championships
This news belongs to
2020 470 Open European Championship
This news belongs to
2021 470 Open European Championship
This news belongs to
Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition


2021 Preview

As you know, the 2020 Olympic Games have been postponed to new dates in July 2021; we have to adapt our 2021 event plans accordingly. We are negotiating with the organizers of the 2021 Worlds to move the dates from September 2021 forward to March 2021.  Exact dates to be announced soon. In addition, the 2021 Europeans initially planned for June will be too close to the Olympic Regatta and will likely move earlier to May. This change may result in a venue change away from Kiel.  In that case, we are looking to either swap venues with one of the other 2021 events, or designate a completely new venue.

2020 Worlds & Europeans

The postponed 2020 World Championship in Mallorca is now tentatively re-scheduled for early October with CN Arenal continuing as the host. New dates are 2-10 October 2020 with racing the 5th through 10th. The postponed 2020 European Championship in Hyeres will now be held September 12-19. Again, these dates are tentative. In this way we can operate with a nearly two-week gap between our two major events of 2020.

To be clear, these proposed rescheduled dates represent our best intentions as a class. By no means are these plans certain to happen as we all are completely dependent on the evolution of the global situation before us. A further call will be made on May 20th, 2020 when organizers from both events will assess the latest developments on travel restrictions and quarantine requirements. 

A final call on the 2020 Worlds and Europeans will be made mid- to late-June. At that time we will announce whether the events are going forward or if they will be cancelled.

Entries made thus far still stand. Teams wishing to withdraw can do so and will be refunded the full registration amount without the 100 euro penalty fee. However, the entry systems will remain open for those who drop-out and eventually choose to re-enter, or for new entries. 

European Olympic Qualifier

Regarding the Olympic qualifier for Europe, it is still unclear whether World Sailing will seek to host it in late 2020 or early 2021.

The 470 Class has offered to run the last remaining event - the European qualifier - as part of one of our existing events (for example, Europeans or Worlds 2020). Since the new deadline for the qualification events has now moved to June 2021 it is also possible to use a 2021 event instead.

Junior Championships

While the Junior Europeans meant to run in Formia, Italy have been cancelled, the Junior Worlds are still scheduled with no change at this moment. The Polish Yachting Association is keen to host this event in July 2020. A backup plan for late August 2020 is also being considered. The next assessment is set for May 20, 2020. In any case, if we cannot run the Junior Worlds within the summer months, we still reserve the option to award the junior titles from within the rankings of the senior Worlds and Europeans.

Next Moves

The next scheduled announcement by the 470 Class will be as soon as possible after the May 20 calls with our event organizers. If new developments should arise in the meantime, we will update you as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience

Management Committee
Int. 470 Class Association