REPORT FROM 470 GENERAL ASSEMBLY MEETING09 May 2019
On Monday 6 May, the International 470 Class Association held its General Annual Meeting (GAM) at Hotel Marina degli Aregai, Sanremo, Italy.
Scheduled to coincide with the 2019 470 European Championship, the GAM debated general class management issues, class rule changes and selected host venues for future Championships.
In attendance were delegates from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Estonia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the USA, with proxy representation from Angola, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus and Lithuania.
In addition to the general reports from members of the Management Committee, an update was received on the 470 Honorary Membership programme to recognize voluntary contributors to the Class, and a proposal to revive the 470 Hall of Fame, which pays tribute to sailors who have achieved outstanding results at World and Olympic level.
The budget for 2019 was approved, which this year will again give a focus on the Class development programmes and media activities.
Proposals were received to change the membership and voting system for National Class Associations, reducing the overall annual fees received from NCAs and bringing more of a balance to the votes allocated to each NCA. Please refer to proposals 19-01 and 19-02 which were both approved. Requiring a two-thirds vote of approval to pass, proposal 19-03 to change the class rules regarding the Jib head adjustment system was rejected.
Updates were also received on future 470 Championships as per the 470 Class Championship Organization plan.
Thanks were expressed to the multiple venues who bid to host future 470 Championships, with the following venues selected (subject to site visits and contract signing):
- 2021 470 World Championship – Vilamoura, Portugal
- 2021 470 Junior World Championship – Yacht Club Sanremo, Italy
- 2021 470 Junior European Championship – Weymouth, Great Britain
- 2021 470 Masters Cup – Bracciano, Rome, Italy
- 2022 470 Junior Word Championship – Tihany, Hungary
- 2022 470 Masters Cup - Tihany, Hungary
Decisions on the venues for the following events will be taken by the 470 Management Committee:
- 2021 470 European Championship – bids invited - the intention is to receive bids between now with the 470 Management Committee to make a decision on the venue by 1 October 2019.
- 2020 North American Championship
- 2020 Asian Championship
- 2021 North American Championship
- 2021 South American Championship
- 2021 Asian Championship
- 2021 African Championship
- 2021 Oceania Championship
- 2020 East Europe Championship
- 2021 East Europe Championship
Please refer to the 470 Class Championship Organization plan to see the complete schedule of 470 Championships.
The GAM Agenda, supporting papers and Championship bids can be found at http://www.470.org/default/events/event/text/2019-470-general-assembly-meeting