EIGHT NATIONS BOOK TOKYO 2020 SPOT IN THE WOMEN’S 47008 Aug 2018
After seven fleet races in the Women’s Two Person Dinghy - 470 at the Hempel Sailing World Championships in Aarhus, Denmark, eight nations have booked their spot at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition.
- Great Britain
Twenty four nations contested for one of eight spots in the Women’s 470 across 47 boats. The fleet comprised 25 nations but as hosts, Japan receives an automatic entry into each Olympic sailing event.
About the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition Qualification System
The World Championships is the principal qualification event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games with 101 places, 40% of the total quota in the ten Olympic sailing disciplines, up for grabs.
Six places will be available in the Men’s and Women’s One Person Dinghy following the 2018 Asian Games and 2019 Pan Am Games.
Class Association World Championships in 2019 will see the awarding of 61 places and throughout the remainder of 2019, moving into 2020, Continental Qualification events will be held to decide the remaining 68 places.
Two Men’s One Person Dinghy and two Women’s One Person Dinghy spots will be awarded to eligible National Olympic Committees (NOC) through the Tripartite Commission Invitation Places. The International Olympic Committee will invite eligible NOCs on 14 October 2019 to apply for these places.
Each NOC may enter a maximum of one boat per event, a total of 15 athletes (eight men and seven women) at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition.
All places are awarded subject to the details of the qualification system.
Click here to view the qualification system in full.
HOW TO FOLLOW:
- Results will be available when race commences here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/results.
- Videos from the Hempel Sailing World Championships are available here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/watch
- Click here to subscribe for live notifications.
- Sailing will be shown live on World Sailing’s YouTube and Facebook Channels from 2-12 August.
SAP SAILING ANALYTICS
- Live tracking, sailor analytics, live weather data and racing status will be available here.
- Follow the event on World Sailing’s social networks and get involved in the conversation using #Aarhus2018.
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/worldsailingofficial/
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/worldsailingofficial/ / https://www.instagram.com/aarhus2018/
- Twitter - @worldsailing / @aarhus2018
- All World Sailing international press releases throughout the duration of the World Championships, including the latest news and reports, are available to read here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/news
- Click here to sign up to receive all of the latest alerts and announcements from the Worlds.
ABOUT THE HEMPEL SAILING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AARHUS 2018
Held every four years, the Sailing World Championships is one of the biggest global sailing events in the world and the principal qualification event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition.
Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus Denmark 2018 will include all 10 Olympic boat classes. Kiteboarding will be added to the programme for the first time. The ambition is to make the championships in Aarhus a unique and spectacular event, where sailing is made more popular and accessible than ever before.
The Championships will be held from 30 July to 12 August 2018 and 1,400 sailors from up to 85 nations will race in up to 1,000 boats.
Held simultaneously with the Sailing World Championships in Aarhus, a large festival will provide opportunities visiting families to get out on the water. The event expects to draw 400,000 visitors to Aarhus.
Source: World Sailing